For: Those looking for encouragement to overcome the difficulties of life
Meets: Every Wednesday night from 6:30-8:30 PM
Location: The Life Center at Word of Life Church
Coordinator: Derek Vreeland - Discipleship Pastor
Celebrate Recovery (CR) at Word of Life is a House of Friends, a Healing Community, and a Help to Others.
CR is a safe place of support for people who are struggling to overcome the difficulties of life, difficulties such as codependency, anger, grief, anxiety, depression, divorce, sexual addictions, eating disorders, gambling, past or current physical or sexual abuse issues, alcohol, drugs, domestic violence, and more.
As a safe place of encouragement and support, CR is a house a friends, a healing community, and an opportunity to help others. Many of us find ourselves stuck in some kind of cycle of bad choices or pain from which we feel that we will never be free. There is hope. There are people who care. There is a way out. It is our prayer that through the ministry of CR, you’ll find freedom in Christ as we celebrate God’s healing power and encourage one another on the road to recovery.
At CR, we believe the way of recovery is the same whether you have been hurt by your own actions or the actions of others, because the “8 Recovery Principles” are built on the teachings of Jesus. Come experience how CR can become a place where God can transform your life.
The 8 Recovery Principles
- Realize I’m not God; I admit that I am powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and my life is unmanageable.( “Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor”)
- Earnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to him, and that he has the power to help me recover. (“Happy are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted”)
- Consciously choose to commit all my life and will to Christ’s care and control. (“Happy are the meek”)
- Openly examine and confess my faults to God, to myself, and to someone I trust. (“Happy are the pure in heart”)
- Voluntarily submit to every change God wants to make in my life and humbly ask Him to remove my character defects. (“Happy are those whose greatest desire is to do what God requires”)
- Evaluate all my relationships; Offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me and make amends for harm I’ve done to others except when to do so would harm them or others. (“Happy are the merciful” “Happy are the peacemakers”)
- Reserve a daily time with God for self examination, Bible readings and prayer in order to know God and His will for my life and to gain the power to follow His will.
- Yield myself to God to be used to bring this Good News to others, both by my example and by my words. (“Happy are those who are persecuted because they do what God requires”)
We meet every Wednesday night
Children are important to us – Child care is available – Infants to 10 years
5:30 – 6:30 PM – Fellowship meal the first Wednesday of the month: Great prices and a great way to develop friendships!
6:30 – 7:30 PM – Large Group Session: A time of prayer and singing together followed by large group teaching or a testimony. There is no pre-registration or sign-up.
7:30 – 8:30 PM – Small Groups: We have groups for men and women. On your first visit to CR you will join a Newcomers Group where we will talk to you about how CR works and answer any questions you have.
(Please note: Our schedule changes from time to time to accommodate evenings of worship, prayer, services, or other special CR events.)
Seven features that make CR unique:
- It is based on God’s Word, the Bible.
- It is forward-looking.
- It emphasizes personal responsibility.
- It emphasizes spiritual commitment to Jesus Christ.
- It utilizes the biblical truth that we need each other in order to grow spiritually and emotionally.
- It addresses all types of habits, hurts, and hang-ups.
- It produces servant leaders.